About Armstrong Elementary School
Armstrong Elementary School was initially known as the “Armstrong Spallumcheen Consolidated School”. When it was built in 1921, it was the first school in the Province to be constructed as a central school into which were consolidated approximately thirteen small country or one-room schools.
In 1946, Armstrong-Spallumcheen School District No. 21 was formed. Armstrong Elementary continued to be the only elementary school in the District until the construction of Len Wood Elementary School in 1964. At that time A.E.S. became the primary school while Len Wood became the intermediate school. In 1990, it was decided to establish three full elementary schools and the school boundaries were redrawn.
From 1994 to 1996, A.E.S. was renovated extensively and made wheelchair accessible. In 1996, School District No. 21 was amalgamated with School District No. 89 to the north to form North Okanagan Shuswap School District No. 83 with its central office in Salmon Arm.
Armstrong Elementary School fills a special place in the City of Armstrong. Numerous present students have parents and grandparents who were students here. There are many community people who have a strong attachment to the school. This is evident from the numbers of people who attend the school at such times as Christmas concerts and Spring Festival. It is also a school which is often used in the evenings and on weekends by community groups such as the Scouts and sports groups for badminton, floor hockey and karate.